top of page

OURBEGINNINGS

THE 13 MEMBERS OF THE HELPING HAND CLUB:

Deacon Andrew Benson
Sister Naomi Powell
Deacon Equilla McCarthy
Sister Ophelia Scarbrough
Sister Josephine Gooden
Sister Gertrude Benson
Deacon Willie G. Phillips
Sister Mary McCarthy
Sister Lizzie Collins
Sister Ethel Baldwin
Sister Georgia Phillips
Trustee Lee Jackson
Sister Fannie Reynolds

THE TEN MEMBERS WHO JOINES WITH THE THIRTEEN:

Dr. Nellie M.H. Williams
Deacon Lemar Porter
Deacon Mary Jo Porter
Reverend O.D. Williams
Deacon Will Mason
Sister Harnetha Gambrell
Sister Rosa Mason
Sister Josephine Horton
Sister Addie Baldwin
Sister Louise Baldwin
ALCC_HISTORY 1
ALCC_HISTORY 7
ALCC_HISTORY 4
ALCC_HISTORY 2
ALCC_HISTORY 6
ALCC_HISTORY 3
ALCC_HISTORY 5
ALCC_HISTORY 8
ALCC_HISTORY 11
ALCC_HISTORY 12
ALCC_HISTORY 13
ALCC_HISTORY 14
ALCC_HISTORY 10
ALCC_HISTORY 16
ALCC_HISTORY 52

WILLIAMS CHAPEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

PASTOR WELTON WILLIAMS

Abundant LIFE Christian Church (founded as Williams Chapel Missionary Baptist Church) began in October of 1955 with 13 concerned Christians meeting in the home of Deacon and Sister Andrew Benson on the corner of Arndt Street and Elmwood.  They were meeting for the sole purpose of finding a church home that they might stay together as a group.  Mother Collins (sister of Deacon Benson) suggested that they stay together by organizing a church, the question of who would be Pastor was posed and Sister Naomi Powell suggested "Little Williams" (referring to Reverent Welton Williams), and the group agreed he was a good choice.  The call immediately went out to the young preacher to come to come of their meetings, and after prayer and consultation with his Pastor, Rev. P.M. Martin, he went back to the group and accepted the challenge.

Sister Fannie Reynolds (one of the 13) suggested the name Williams Chapel Baptist Church and the other group members were in agreement  Shortly thereafter, they moved to a one-room storefront building on the corner of Arndt and Ellery Streets.  On December 1, 1955 Pastor P.M. Martin and the Zion Hope Baptist Church officially organized Williams Chapel Missionary Baptist Church with Reverend Welton Williams as Pastor with a total of 23 members, and Trustee James Baldwin registered the Church with the State of Michigan. Within three months the congregation outgrew the one-room storefront and exactly one year later, December 1956, we marched from Arndt and Ellery to 3111 Elmwood Street.

1962 : Radio Ministry on WQBH

1964:  Mortgage for 3111 Elmwood paid off

1969:  Pastor's vision to build a new edifice

1970:  Groundbreaking for new edifice

1971:  Williams Chapel Day Care founded by Pastor and Mrs. Williams

1972: Sanctuary of new edifice completed

1979:  Dr. Nellie M.H. Williams began 6:30am Through-the-Bible-Study group

1980:  Mortgage for 3100 Elmwood paid off

1983:  Plans for ministry in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti began

1985:  Williams Chapel Church/School building completed and dedicated

1995:  Renovation Program completed

1997:  Renovation completed at 3111 Elmwood where Ross Hill Academy was housed

1999:  Ross-Hill Academy opened with 302 students, grades K-8

2001:  New site was added to Ross-Hill Academy at 317 Harper for upper grade students

On Sunday, January 1, 2006, Pastor Welton Williams passed the mantle of leadership to his grandson, Reverend James C. Jones.  The congregation responded with an overwhelming acceptance with Reverend Jones becoming Pastor and Reverend Welton Williams serving as Founding Senior Pastor.

Through the vision of Pastor James C. Jones several worship and fellowship initiatives began, and the educational wing of Williams Chapel Missionary Baptist Church was dedicated to Dr. Nellie M.H. Williams on Sunday, July 29, 2007.

2008:  Publication Ministry released the first Yearly Calendar

2009:  Williams Chapel Missionary Baptist Church became "The Chapel  LIFE Church"

2010:  Founding Pastor Welton Williams went home to be with the Lord and the Celebration of Life, Love and Legacy was held October 29 & 30

2011:  The Chapel LIFE Church Family & Friends Live Recording

2012:  First Fruit Giving initiated by Pastor James C. Jones

2013:  The Chapel LIFE Church Production Team presented "A Chapel LIFE Christmas" by Reverend Celeste Kelley, Sister Gwendolyn Miller, Sister Dorothy Matthews, Deacon Prenestine Porter and Brother Williams Greene.

2013:  Zoe LIFE Recording Studio constructed and built by Pastor James C. Jones and Reverend Brandon Maxwell

2014:  Small Group explosion of Bible Study classes

2017:  The Chapel LIFE Church became "Abundant LIFE Christian Church" and filed with State of Michigan on March 14

2019:  Online Virtual Worship service "Abundant LIFE Live" began on all social media outlets establishing additional members of Abundant LIFE Christian Church from all around the country

The Mission of Abundant LIFE Christian Church is the focus of all ministry endeavors and is upheld as the history continues to be written through the leadership of Pastor James C. Jones.

bottom of page